The Teatro Principal (theatre) is one of the most notable buildings of the 19th century in Burgos and the core of the city’s cultural life. It was inaugurated in 1858, in addition to housing theatrical activities it was also the headquarters of the ‘Salón de Recreo’ Society. An extension called “Polisón” was built in 1884, orientated towards the gardens of the Paseo del Espolón. The combination stands out for its eclectic academist style of the 19th century.
Nowadays, The Teatro Principal has a high quality and stable programme which has enabled it to quickly become one of the most important settings of the cultural circuit in Castile and León and of Spain.